Health Insurance


You can conclude any kind of health insurance contract upon your choice.

Some contacts: Generali - Ms Kitti Krnács at If you are interested, feel free to contact her.

Please always read thoroughly the terms of your insurance contract („use ”contracted doctors, accepted bills etc.) and act accordingly!

If you are an EU citizen, you can use your E111 card at every doctor's office (if not private practice) in case of emergency. Otherwise you have to pay for healthcare, but you can forward your bills to your insurance company for reimbursement, depending on your private insurance.


SH scholarship covers health insurance (health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation /Act No. 80 of 1997, national health insurance card/ and supplementary medical insurance)

  • private insurance:

How to apply for private insurance?

SZIU currently has contract with Generali Insurance Company that provides student health packages for SH students. The contract is made by SZIU, you need to fill out a data sheet and sign it. Please contact Student Services Office on Gödöllő Campus and your international coordinator on Buda Campus.

How it works?

As for Generali, if you have any problem, call the central number indicated on the insurance card, tell them your problem, and they will direct you to the closest contracted English speaking doctor. You always have to notify the insurance company before using a health service, otherwise they cannot accept and reimburse your bill.

  • public insurance / social security (TAJ) card

How to apply for a social security card?

On Gödöllő Campus, it is arranged by the Student Services Office (Ms. Zsuzsanna Tassy  Main Building, 1st Floor, Room 1010) based on your authorization. Please, collect the required documents (see below), and give them to Zsuzsanna Tassy.
You have to check the expiry date of the card, and submit the application for the extension by yourself at least one month before the expiry. For extension, the same documents are required as in the first case. The address of the Gödöllő Office of OEP-National Health Insurance Fund is Gödöllő, Dózsa György u. 13. 1st floor Room No. 110. Working hours: Mo, Wed, Thurs: 8am – 3pm; Tue: 9am – 5pm.

On Buda Campus, the application for the first TAJ card is arranged by your mentor based on your authorization. Please, collect the required documents (below), and give them to your mentor.
You have to check the expiry date of the card, and submit the application for the extension by yourself at least one month before the expiry. For extension, the same documents are required as in the first case. The Budapest address of the Office of OEP-National Health Insurance Fund is Budapest, Budafoki út 59., 1117 Budapest, not far from the Buda Campus. You might ask for the help of your mentor.
Working hours: Mo, Tue, Thurs: 8am–3pm; Wed: 8am–5.30pm; Fri: 8am–1pm

Required documents are:

  • application form
  • copy of accomodation sheet stamped by the Immigration Office
  • copy of residence permit
  • copy of your passport
  • student status certificate (in Hungarian) (ask your registrar’s officer for it)
  • Letter of Award and Letter of Acceptance in Hungarian (ask your international coordinator for it)
  • authorization

How social security works?

After submitting your application you will get a social security number (TAJ number), then within a few weeks a social security card (TAJ card). With a TAJ number /card you are entitled to have the Hungarian public health service for free. There only a few basic services (e.g. given elements of dental services) that are not free.

In this system, you have a general doctor and a dentist. If you have any problem, you have to go directly to the general doctor. In the case of dental problems, it is better to call the dentist before and ask for an appointment.

If you need a specialist, you can go first to the general doctor, who will direct you to the right specialist if needed. If you want to go directly to a specialist, you can make an appointment or in urgent case, you can go directly to the specialist and queue up. Before going to the specialist, you have to register at the registration desk in the clinic (they usually do not speak English, so try to ask for mentor’s help).

Please note that you have to pay for medical reports/ fitness certificates required for job or application.

Information about free and anonym AIDS test (Budapest, Karolina út 35/B.) at

On GÖDÖLLŐ CAMPUS the general doctor is Dr. Islam Shafiqul (works in public health clinic, Gödöllő, Szabadság tér 3. (next to the market place).
Dr. Márta Kovács works in the dormitory Building C, you can visit her only in case of emergency.
Your dentist is Dr. Feder Asher, he works in city centre: Gödöllő, Szilhát u. 47.

The table contains the working hours of doctors in Gödöllő.








Dr. Kovács Márta
(Dorm C)

Tel.: +36-28-522-900
/1088 ext.






Dr. Shafiqul Islam
(Szabadság tér 3.)

Tel.: +36-28-430-655
/211 ext.






Dr. Feder Asher
(Szilhát u. 47.)

Tel: +36-20-928 4233






On BUDA CAMPUS, please ask your mentor.

Emergencies - In case of an emergency, dial one of the following numbers:

  •  Ambulance: 104
  •  Police: 107,
  •  Fire brigade: 105
  •  Central Emergency Helpline: 112 - can be dialled from a Hungarian cell phone from inside the country.

Social Security (TAJ) or Private (GENERALI)?
Since Generali (the private insurance company) provides English service, It is rather recommended to use Generali services first, and if it is about a service not covered by Generali, you can use public health service.